Monday, July 5, 2010

What is the pain won't go away?

If pain lasts for more than a few days, or if pain spreads into the arm, then you should see your doctor (GP). S/He will examine your neck and many arrange physical treatments.

Most cases of neck pain can be confidently diagnosed and treated without any special tests. Very occasionally your GP may ask for an x-ray out other important causes of neck pain, such as ankylosing spondylitis or an infection.

If your pain is very bad, or if it spreads into your arm or have dizzy spells, your GP may send you to see a specialist. The specialist may be a rheumatologist, orthopaedic surgeon or neurosurgeon, depending on the problem, further tests may be needed, such as x-rays, blood tests, An MRI scan will only be done if there is a suggestion that there is a nerve (or nerves) being pinched in the neck, and if further treatment is being considered. A specialist may recommend injections into certain parts of the neck, but only once is it clear exactly where the pain is coming from. Surgery is very rarely needed-only in severe cases or nerve or spinal cord involement.

No comments: