Friday, February 29, 2008

Can Back pain be due to not drinking enough water?

Five years ago, during a very hot spell in Albuquerque, new mexico, I discovered that my patients who had back pain were negatively affected by not drinking enough water every day. It became obvious to me that certain patients were more sensitive to palpation of their spinal muscles that I expected during their initial examination. In addition, they were more uncomfortable after their first chiropractic treatments than I would have expected Normally, people have a tendency to experience some temporary muscle soreness and myofascial pain after their initial chiropractic spinal manipulation. This muscle soreness is caused by the change in posture that occurs after an initial chiropractic spinal manipulation because the chiropractic teatment affects the length of the involed muscles.
During this hot spell, several patients exhibited this muscle soreness not only after their initial chiropractic treatments, but after their follow-up chiropractic treatments as well. This response to chiropractic care concerned me because it was so unusual. Normally, patients with back pain respond quickly to chiropractic care. Consequently, my inquisitivenss stimulated me to research hydration (water intake) date.

No comments:

Google